When Daimler-Benz introduced the 170 S in 1949 it represented the automotive premium class because of its chassis and perfect detailing, and despite its pre-war construction. It’s marketing slogan was “The car that doesn’t know bad roads!”. Given the road conditions at the time, that was quite the statement! Between March of 1949 and February of 1952 26,331 models were built before the slightly edited 170 Sb was introduced.
Our Mercedes-Benz 170 S has an interesting story: It was first delivered as reparations to the materials department of the French military in Germany (FFA) where it was deployed in Oberkirch in the Black Forest. In 1965 the “military Mercedes” received a complete overhaul in Friedrichshafen. In 1974 it “retired” from military service and received a German registration and papers. In 2005 the classic was sold to its current owner and is immediately driveable. Its gorgeous character with foldable sliding roof make this classic stand out!
- foldable sliding roof
- front: drum
- rear: drum