For BMW, the break at the end of the Second World War was particularly harsh: The car plant in Eisenach was lost, and the plant in Munich was largely dismantled. Nevertheless, the automobile industry was reorganized in Munich in 1951/52. Unfortunately, BMW could hardly make money with the Isetta on the one hand and the big luxury saloons on the other. It was the small but modern BMW 700 that saved the company in the end. With the “new class” BMW returned to success in 1962. The BMW 501 with the six-cylinder engine was the first post-war construction: superbly engineered suspension, conservative but solid bodywork and an engine developed from the pre-war BMW 326. The BMW 501 with the newly developed V8 aluminum engine (2.6-liter displacement) closed the gap between the six-cylinder and the more opulent equipped 502 model.
Our BMW 501 V8 was built on December 18th 1958 and not registered until 28.03.1960 because of non-acceptance. The buyer was from Pforzheim (Germany). This noble sedan with gray paint and dark green leather is very elegant, with a mileage of only 70,000 km, which appears probable.
- front: drum
- rear: drum